Monday, May 12, 2014

Silence is......Excruciating!

“The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.”     Zephaniah 3:17

I have completely lost my voice today.  Imagine that.  I can’t utter a sound above a whisper.  All day I have tried my very best to remain quiet as to let my vocal chords heal.  Do you have any idea how difficult it is for a preacher to keep quiet?  It’s excruciating! 

However, earlier today while sitting silently on the back porch, God reminded me that my words, my best efforts, my own agendas, are just that; mine. As the wind blew through the trees in my yard, I was reminded of God’s great power that is never, ever silenced by sickness or injury.  God never sleeps or slumbers and His word will not return unto Him void but will accomplish what it sets out to do.  (Isa. 55:11)  While it is a privilege to be used of God in many ways, he does not need me to get his point across to this world.  As a matter of fact, he loves me whether or not I am able to speak for him. 

I have also been reminded today that I am a much better listener when my mouth is not moving.  Maybe that is why God commands us to “be still and know that I am God.”  (Psalm 46:10)  Therefore I am going to try spending more time on the porch just quietly listening to God speak to me through the gentle breeze. I challenge you to do likewise.  Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. What a great reminder of God's goodness in our lives despite our own endeavors. He doesn't need us, He just loves to use us for His glory so we can get the blessing. Nice! :)

    ReplyDelete

HOW TO COMMENT...

If you are not signed-in to Goggle+ or as another registered user, you must select "Anonymous" from the drop-down menu.

If you are using an Apple product to comment, you may experience some difficulty in commenting. We suggest that you comment as a registered user (such as Goggle+, OpenID, etc.) or comment using a windows-based device.