Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Worn

Several months ago a friend sent an email to me and suggested that listen to the words of a new song.  The song was by Tenth Avenue North and was entitled “Worn.”  Though now the song is being played on Christian radio everywhere, it had not yet been released when I first heard it.  As I sat in my office and listened to the heart-wrenching words, I suddenly became very emotional which as most of you know, is a bit unusual for me.  My emotions run very deep but seldom result in tears.  However, while listening to this song for the first time, I actually began to weep. 


I'm tired, I'm wornMy heart is heavy
From the work it takes
To keep on breathing
I've made mistakes
I've let my hope fail
My soul feels crushed
By the weight of this world
And I know that You can give me rest
So I cry out with all that I have left

Right then, I knew that I was past due for some much needed rest.  We all get that way sometimes.  Even David of the Old Testament, a man after God’s own heart and the one and only giant killer, found himself in a situation that he could not handle because he was too exhausted and too “worn.”  (2 Samuel 21:15-17)   Fatigue is certainly not a sin but it most assuredly makes us vulnerable to all manner of attacks.  The great football coach Vince Lombard once said “Fatigue makes cowards of us all.”  

As I continued to listen to the song, I realized that the writer had indeed figured out the solution to a life that is worn.

Let me see redemption win
Let me know the struggle ends
That You can mend a heart that's frail and torn

I wanna know a song can rise
From the ashes of a broken life
And all that's dead inside can be reborn
‘Cause I'm worn

And that is pretty much it.  When we have nothing left to give, the only thing left is to let go and let God do His work in and for us.  God can take a broken, discouraged, exhausted heart and use it for His glory.  And that is a comforting truth.

So get the rest you need and don’t forget to breathe.  Remember that everyone gets worn sometimes.  But God is faithful and He can let a song rise from the ashes of a broken heart.

Take a break and listen to this song.  But be forewarned… it may cause tears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-METBrlP3xU  

1 comment:

  1. Pastor,

    Thanks so much for the reminder of where our strength truly comes from. Life sure does have a way of wear a person down...attacks from the evil one are all around friends and family. It is He who gives rest and strength.

    ReplyDelete

HOW TO COMMENT...

If you are not signed-in to Goggle+ or as another registered user, you must select "Anonymous" from the drop-down menu.

If you are using an Apple product to comment, you may experience some difficulty in commenting. We suggest that you comment as a registered user (such as Goggle+, OpenID, etc.) or comment using a windows-based device.